Your skin is your body's first line of defense against a host of tough customers - sun exposure, pollution, hot days and freezing cold temps. It's important to take good care of your skin with organic tools - such as body scrubs and essential oils - so it can take good care of you.
Basic formula and function
Start with the basic formula: something scrubby + skin care oil. For scrubby ingredients, use food-grade, biodegradable ingredients like sugar, salt or coffee grounds (before or after brewing). These will exfoliate the skin, removing dry, dead and dull-looking skin cells and helping to prevent clogged pores. Incredibly, your skin will respond by generating new, fresh skin cells more quickly.
Next, choose plant-based oils that nourish the skin and provide lubrication for the scrubby ingredients. Sweet almond oil is a great choice, with its rich texture and skin-hydrating properties.
Add your favorite essential oils to the mix and take the benefits of your scrub to a whole new level of luxury and efficacy.
Not sure where to start? Find some inspiration below.
Clarifying Energizing Body Scrub
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon coarsely ground coffee
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sweet almond oil
- 30 drops sweet Orange essential oil
- 9 drops peppermint essential oil
- 9 drops spearmint essential oil
- 4-ounce amber glass wide-mouth jar
Clean & Fresh Body Scrub
- 18 drops fresh ginger essential oil
- 16 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 14 drops coriander seed essential oil
- 4 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger (optional)
Peppermint Citrus Scrub
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼-1/3 cup oil: coconut oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, apricot oil, avocado oil, or a combination
- Optional: 2-4 tablespoons orange or grapefruit zest (for extra exfoliation)
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10-15 drops wild orange essential oil (lemon or grapefruit will also work- or any combination of these)
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until well blended. Transfer to wide-mouth jar.
- To use, scoop scrub out of jar with fingertips and apply to skin using gentle circular motions.
- Rinse with warm water and pat dry.
Authored by Aura Cacia. Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop.