Brown Bag Lunches can get boring if they are the same old thing over and over again. Kids may trade to get a lunch that they find more fun to eat.
For adults, boredom can lead to a trip to the vending machine or convenience store- a difficult place to find healthful choices.
The solution is to mix it up with nutritious and think outside the brown bag. To start thinking “outside the bag,” use the ideas below to put together a fun lunch that brown baggers of all ages will enjoy. Be sure to add your favorites to the list!
Pick from these whole grains choices—pick one or two:
- Whole grain crackers
- Whole grain mini-bagel or pita bread
- Toasted whole grain English muffin
- Low fat granola in a one-quarter cup container
- Low fat bran muffin Whole grain rice or pasta salad
Vegetable choices—pick two or more 1/2 cup servings:
- Three bean salad, with added beets and olives, dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil Hummus (garbanzo bean spread)
- Vegetable soup (1-cup) in a thermos or microwave safe container
- Baby carrots
- Celery sticks
- Cherry or grape tomatoes
- Cooked okra pods
- Cooked green beans
- Sweet pepper strips
- Cooked corn the cob (6”ear = ½ cup; 8-9” ear =1 cup)
- Salad (1-cup) with one tablespoon of dressing
Fruit choices—pick one:
- Favorite fall apples
- Dried fruit packed in a one-quarter cup container
- Frozen berries packed in a one-half cup container (they thaw by lunchtime)
- One-cup 100% juice
Dairy/high calcium choices—pick one:
- Chocolate milk or calcium–fortified soy milk
- Yogurt String cheese
- Light cheese rounds or triangle wedges
- High calcium hot cocoa packet or already made up in a thermos
Protein choices—pick one:
- Turkey or chicken breast or roast beef slices
- Canned tuna, salmon or other fish
- Bean salad or spread from above (beans count as protein AND vegetable)
- Flavored baked tofu or tempeh chunks
- Chunky peanut butter, sunflower seed or almond butter
You can create delicious lunch combinations, for example:
- Whole grain crackers and cheese, chicken and vegetable soup in a thermos, a serving of celery sticks, chocolate milk to drink and a Ginger Gold apple.
- Three-bean salad with grape tomatoes, low fat bran muffin and thawed frozen fruit topped with yogurt.
- Toasted whole grain English muffin with tomato, turkey, and low fat cheese with 100% grape juice to drink.
Authored by Mary Choate for Stronger Together. Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop.