These flavorful chickpeas are quick and easy; a perfect meal served with rice or naan bread and veggies on the side.
- 1 ½ cups long-grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons Field Day canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 1 15-ounce can Field Day garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring rice and 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Cover tightly and reduce to a simmer for about 40 minutes or until water is absorbed.
Heat oil in a deep frying pan or shallow soup pot. Add onion and cook over medium heat until soft and translucent, then add garlic, ginger, spices and tomato paste. Pour into a blender or food processor and blend thoroughly. Return the spiced tomato paste to the same pan; there will still be a thin coat of oil in it. Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it turns medium brown and oil separates around the edges of pan. Gradually whisk in water until it makes a thick gravy, about 2 cups. Bring to a boil.
Add potato and salt, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 8 minutes, then add garbanzo beans. Return to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Stir in lemon juice and red pepper flakes, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over rice.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop.
Photo courtesy of Johan Bichel Lindegaard