Introducing Round-Up for Change!
We are excited to introduce Mariposa’s Round-up for Change program! Through this initiative, we will be able to directly support community organizations and groups in our neighborhood when shoppers “round-up” their total purchase to the nearest dollar. The extra change is then donated to a different cause each month.
Philadelphia-area community organizations and groups are encouraged to apply for “round-up” funding by submitting an application to the Co-op either online or in-store. Applications will be accepted now through August 13th. Round-Up for Change will launch on September 1st.
To apply, please review the following criteria:
Mariposa Food Co-op’s Ends Statements:
- Mariposa is a welcoming, accessible, and affordable cooperative.
- Mariposa is a community in which systems of oppression have been dismantled.
- Mariposa has policies and practices that support environmentally and economically sustainable food systems.
- Mariposa is a model for good jobs and workplace democracy.
- Mariposa’s community members care for one another; we are all connected.
Preference will be given to organizations that are:
- Local to West Philly or acting for Philadelphia as a whole
- Using this funding for specific projects rather than general operating costs.
Non-profit 501c(3) organizations are encouraged to apply, although having certified non-profit status is not required. Organizations with a fiscal sponsor or other recognized certifications (Benefit corporation, certified B Corp, etc.) will also be considered in the application process.
Groups must be nonpartisan and nondiscriminatory.
Your organization’s primary objective must be one of the following:
- Promotes nutritious foods and healthy diets.
- Promotes food justice and/or social justice.
- Encourages environmental responsibility.
- Serves as a cooperative organization.
- Serves Mariposa’s immediate neighborhood and community
- Supports local education initiatives.
- Promotes and contributes to urban agriculture and/or the local food economy.
- Promotes grassroots, community organizing and development.
We will not consider donations for the following causes:
- Political groups that do not align with Mariposa’s values
- Political parties and/or specific candidates
- Third-party fundraisers
- Fraternal groups
- Mariposa does not donate for religious purposes, but programs of religious organizations may qualify.
If selected, we ask that you:
- Provide printed promotional materials for the store.
- Table twice during the month for two hours to speak with shoppers about your organization.
- Provide photos with descriptions that represent your organization and its work for promotion on social media and in our e-newsletter.
- Spend 15-20 minutes training our cashiers at the Co-op, answering questions and clarifying talking points about your organization.
Please note: In the event of an emergency requiring funds (a natural disaster, for example), Mariposa may elect to donate funds from a long weekend of your assigned month to an organization providing relief for this emergency.
The Application - Part 1
The Application - Part 2
Please Explain the following in no more than one page:
- Your organization's mission.
- How will these funds be used within your organization? Is this donation time sensitive? Will you be using these funds for a specific campaign or month?
- How does your organization align with Mariposa's ends and values?
Additionally, please provide the following materials (physical copies or digital copies are accepted):
Your 501(c)3 certification, if applicable. If you are not a 501(c)3 organization but have other credentials, please provide this with your application.
1-2 supporting materials such as a brochure, flyer, or annual report.
Applications will not be considered unless both parts are submitted. The above materials can be submitted to email@example.com with the subject line: Round-Up Application [Organization Name], dropped off at our Customer Service desk (attn: Owner Services), or mailed to:
Mariposa Food Co-op
Attn: Owner Services
4824 Baltimore Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19143
Thank you for taking the time to fill out this application! Our staff-lead Education & Outreach Committee will review applications as they are submitted and select organizations for the 2018-2019 Round-Up for Change cycle by the end of August. All organizations will be notified of their application status at that time. If you have any questions about the program or the application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-729-2121 x03.