Veggies, whole grains and Sriracha tahini dressing make this flavorful, easy, one-bowl meal a perfect addition to your weeknight dinner rotation. This recipe is very versatile - swap ingredients for your favorite veggies.
- 1 cup dry quinoa or bulgur
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamari sauce plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, thinly sliced
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 2 medium avocados, halved and pitted
- Cook the quinoa or bulgur. In a small pot, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil, then add the grain. Return to a boil, and if using quinoa, reduce the heat to low and cook for 14 minutes, covered. For bulgur, bring to a boil for 1 minute, then cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Fluff the finished grain with a fork.
- While the grain cooks, place the tahini, cider vinegar, one tablespoon each tamari, honey, Sriracha sauce and water in a small bowl and stir with a fork until smooth. Add a bit more water if the dressing is too thick.
- Place the pumpkin seeds in a small sauté pan and swirl over medium-high heat. When they begin to pop and become fragrant, stir in the tamari. The tamari will coat the seeds and the pan will be dry. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Place a quarter of the cooked grains in each of four low, wide bowls. Arrange the raw kale and carrots on top of the grains, then slice the avocado halves in the skin and carefully scoop them out with a spoon. Fan half an avocado over each bowl. Top with sauce and pumpkin seeds.
Grain and noodle bowls are the way to go for simple, flexible meals. The easy tahini dressing has enough Sriracha sauce to make it exciting, but if you don't like it hot you can always cut the amount in half. Customize with your favorite cooked or shredded veggies, proteins or sauces.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop.