Introducing Round-Up for Change!
We are excited to introduce Mariposa’s Round-up for Change program! Through this initiative, we will be able to directly support community organizations and groups in our neighborhood when shoppers “round-up” their total purchase to the nearest dollar. The extra change is then donated to a different cause each month.
Philadelphia-area community organizations and groups were encouraged to apply for “round-up” funding by submitting an application to the Co-op either online or in-store. Applications were accepted through August 13th. We will announce the recipients for 2018-2019 by the end of the month and Round-Up for Change will launch on September 1st.
If your organization is interested in applying in the future, please review the following criteria:
Mariposa Food Co-op’s Ends Statements:
- Mariposa is a welcoming, accessible, and affordable cooperative.
- Mariposa is a community in which systems of oppression have been dismantled.
- Mariposa has policies and practices that support environmentally and economically sustainable food systems.
- Mariposa is a model for good jobs and workplace democracy.
- Mariposa’s community members care for one another; we are all connected.
Preference will be given to organizations that are:
- Local to West Philly or acting for Philadelphia as a whole
- Using this funding for specific projects rather than general operating costs.
Non-profit 501c(3) organizations are encouraged to apply, although having certified non-profit status is not required. Organizations with a fiscal sponsor or other recognized certifications (Benefit corporation, certified B Corp, etc.) will also be considered in the application process.
Groups must be nonpartisan and nondiscriminatory.
Your organization’s primary objective must be one of the following:
- Promotes nutritious foods and healthy diets.
- Promotes food justice and/or social justice.
- Encourages environmental responsibility.
- Serves as a cooperative organization.
- Serves Mariposa’s immediate neighborhood and community
- Supports local education initiatives.
- Promotes and contributes to urban agriculture and/or the local food economy.
- Promotes grassroots, community organizing and development.
We will not consider donations for the following causes:
- Political groups that do not align with Mariposa’s values
- Political parties and/or specific candidates
- Third-party fundraisers
- Fraternal groups
- Mariposa does not donate for religious purposes, but programs of religious organizations may qualify.
If selected, we ask that you:
- Provide printed promotional materials for the store.
- Table twice during the month for two hours to speak with shoppers about your organization.
- Provide photos with descriptions that represent your organization and its work for promotion on social media and in our e-newsletter.
- Spend 15-20 minutes training our cashiers at the Co-op, answering questions and clarifying talking points about your organization.
Please note: In the event of an emergency requiring funds (a natural disaster, for example), Mariposa may elect to donate funds from a long weekend of your assigned month to an organization providing relief for this emergency.
The Application - Part 1
The application for the 2018-2019 Round-Up for Change season has closed. We will begin accepting applications for 2019-2020 starting mid-summer of 2019. Thank you to all who applied!
You may review the full application here, however we will not be accepting additional applications at this time.
The Application - Part 2
Please Explain the following in no more than one page:
- Your organization's mission.
- How will these funds be used within your organization? Is this donation time sensitive? Will you be using these funds for a specific campaign or month?
- How does your organization align with Mariposa's ends and values?
Additionally, please provide the following materials (physical copies or digital copies are accepted):
Your 501(c)3 certification, if applicable. If you are not a 501(c)3 organization but have other credentials, please provide this with your application.
1-2 supporting materials such as a brochure, flyer, or annual report.