It's Election Season!
One of the reasons why Mariposa Food Co-op is so unique is that all of our owners actively participate in setting policies and making decisions, as stated in Cooperative Principle #2. Elected by and held accountable by Mariposa owners, the Board of Delegates are elected annually to represent the voice and opinions of Mariposa owners. Responsibilities include overseeing and evaluating management, reporting on the state of the Co-op, overseeing bylaws changes, and approving the budget.
Candidates & Voting
This year, Mariposa owners will elect five (5) delegates. One (1) staff delegate will be nominated by Mariposa staff and confirmed by a two-thirds (2/3) majority of owners. Voting is open Saturday, March 25 through Sunday, April 9. Please note, you will need your owner number to vote, which can be found at the top of your receipt. If you need additional assistance, please email email@example.com
During the 2017 - 2018 year, the Board will focus on:
- Aligning Mariposa's growth with our mission and values
- Committee structures, including:
- Appointing a Food Justice & Anti Racism committee delegate
- Creating an Expansion Committee
- Engaging new and existing owners
- Amending aspects of our Policy Register
- Creating a structure to hold each other accountable
- Updating the Articles of Incorporation
- Strengthening board recruitment, training and the election process
Board members should expect to:
- Attend Board meetings the first Monday of every month. Note, the April 17 and May 8 Board meetings are mandatory for newly elected Board of Delegates.
- Dedicate 6 hours (approximately) per month.
- Participate in owner meetings (2 times per year minimum).
- Adhere to Mariposa’s bylaws and commit to the seven cooperative principles.
- Work within a Policy Governance board model.
Mariposa Board of Delegates must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- A Mariposa owner
*All candidates must state any potential conflicts of interest.