It's Election Season!
One of the reasons why Mariposa Food Co-op is so unique is that all of our owners actively participate in setting policies and making decisions, as stated in Cooperative Principle #2. Elected by and held accountable by Mariposa owners, the Board of Delegates are elected annually to represent the voice and opinions of Mariposa owners. Responsibilities include overseeing and evaluating management, determining patronage refund distribution, reporting on the state of the Co-op, and overseeing bylaws changes.
Board elections will begin at our next meeting on Thursday, March 15th from 6:30pm-8:30pm at The Cedarworks (4919 Pentridge St). At the meeting we'll be:
- Mixing, mingling, and meeting fellow co-owners while snacking on refreshments.
- Celebrating Mariposa’s 47th birthday by taking a look into the past with some of our official (and not so official) documents from as early as the 1970’s!
- Getting an update from the current Board on what they have been working on.
- Getting an update on the Co-op’s operations, financial health, and upcoming projects from our Transitional General Manager, Aj.
- Having a Q&A with our Board candidates for 2018. Come with questions, ideas, and feedback!
- Opening up voting online and in-store through March 29th.
The Board's Work
- Working with Management
- Oversee and coordinate with the Transitional General Manager to ensure shared goals are being met.
- Review monthly reports about the Co-op's health including finances, membership, and long term planning.
- Use a Policy Governance system to monitor and delegate responsibilities.
- Standing committees are Policy Governance, Board Development/Elections, and Food Justice & Anti-Racism. These committees work on policies to make Board work more efficient and meaningful.
- In the coming year, the Board hopes to further engage Mariposa member-owners in committee work that supports the Board.
- Work with resources that help the Board to gain skills and knowledge about cooperatives, food systems, anti-oppression work, and more.
- Engage outside consultants/educators, design skill shares, attend conferences to continue education.
It is strongly recommended that nominees attend one Board meeting before voting begins. Board meetings occur on the first Monday of every month at 6:30pm at Cedarworks (4919 Pentridge St). The next meeting is on Mondau, 3/5.
Board members should expect to:
- Attend Board meetings the first Monday of every month.
- Dedicate 6 hours (approximately) per month.
- Participate in owner meetings (2 times per year minimum).
- Adhere to Mariposa’s bylaws and commit to the seven cooperative principles.
- Work within a Policy Governance board model.
Mariposa Board of Delegates must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be a Mariposa owner
*All candidates must state any potential conflicts of interest.