Drop biscuits may not look as perfect as biscuits that are rolled and cut out, but they are just as good, and require less cleanup.
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, approximately
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Oil or put parchment paper on a baking sheet, and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Whisk 1 egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash, reserve the white for the dough. In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and. Stir in Parmesan cheese. Whisk together remaining whole egg and egg white, 3/4 cup buttermilk and olive oil, stir into the flour mixture. If it seems stiff, add more buttermilk. Use a quarter-cup measure to scoop the batter and drop onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with egg wash. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden.
These biscuits are best served warm and go great with a soup.
Authored by Robin Asbell. Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop