The bright lemon flavor of these bars makes a great finish to a dinner of hearty Mediterranean dishes like pasta or ratatouille. Of course, they’re a delicious midday snack as well.
- 3/4 cup butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, minced
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (3-4 lemons)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour and confectioner’s sugar together. Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. Press the dough into the pan evenly.Bake for 15-17 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, whisk the filling ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Pour the filling onto the hot crust. Place the dish back into the oven and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Stir together the sour cream and sugar for the topping. Gently spread the sour cream mix evenly over the bars. Bake another 5-7 minutes. Let the bars cool completely before cutting or topping with powdered sugar.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop