- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces chicken breast, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6 6-inch corn tortilla
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 cup cilantro, stems removed
- 1 large lime, cut in wedges
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat and add the onion, garlic, clove, cumin and chopped chicken. Stir for five minutes or so, lowering the heat to medium, until the onions are soft and the chicken is golden but not fully cooked. Add the red bell pepper, chili powder, oregano and stock and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low and simmer just until the chicken is cooked and the pepper is soft.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Stack the corn tortillas and slice in 1/4-inch strips. Place them on a baking sheet and drizzle with the canola oil, chili powder and remaining salt. Bake, stirring every five minutes, for about 20-25 minutes, until the strips are crisp.
- Serve the soup topped with cilantro and corn strips, with lime wedges for squeezing over the soup.
Authored by Robin Asbell. Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop