Tempeh, made from fermented soybeans, gives a deep flavor and meaty texture to Dana Tomlin's vegetarian taco filling.
- 1 pound plain tempeh
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- Pinch of pepper
- Crumble tempeh into a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a medium sized skillet or sauté pan over medium heat. Add tempeh and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 15-20 seconds until aromatic.
- Add chili powder, pepper, tamari, and water. Mix well and sauté a few minutes more until liquid evaporates. Note: Add additional oil if tempeh is sticking to pan.
Serve with fresh corn tortillas and your favorite taco fixings.
Reprinted by permission from StrongerTogether.coop. Find articles about your food and where it comes from, recipes and a whole lot more at www.strongertogether.coop.
Cover photo courtesy of Sarah Stierch